The First Abroad Scholarship supports first-generation students planning for a study abroad experience. It is a one-time scholarship of $3,000 used to fund participation in a UT-approved study abroad program. The University of Texas awards 25 students annually.
About The University Of Texas
The flagship institution of the University of Texas System is the University of Texas at Austin, also known colloquially as UT Austin, UT, University of Texas, or Texas in sporting settings. Its campus, which was established in Austin, Texas, in 1881 under the name “The University of Texas,” is about one mile (1,600 m) from the Texas State Capitol. With more than 50,000 undergraduate and graduate students, more than 24,000 faculty members, and staff, the university has the seventh-largest single-campus enrollment in the country. The University offers almost all in-demand courses in the USA
First Abroad Scholarship
This scholarship is ideal for first-generation students that know they want to study abroad but have not yet chosen a program. Recipients work with a program coordinator to explore options, learn about funding opportunities, and establish an academic plan for education abroad.
You are eligible for the First Abroad scholarship if the following describes you:
- You are a first-generation college student (neither parent has a 4-year college degree)
- This is your first time in college (i.e. you did not transfer after a year at another institution)
- Your first semester at UT will be Fall 2022
- You have a current FAFSA on file with UT Austin
- You are not a recipient of the Hutchison International Scholarship
Recommended: How To Apply For A U.S Student Visa
About First Abroad Scholarship Awards?
- The Awards are intended to be used during the standard four years of an undergraduate education.
- Awards are announced in December 2022 and are available for use starting the next Fall 2023.
- These awards are considered planning scholarships and are not intended for Spring programs, including May terms, immediately following the award announcements.
- Awards are to be used within a student’s standard four years at UT. Funds are not to be used to extend graduation.
How To Apply For First Abroad Scholarship
- Applications are open and due by 11:59 PM on Friday, November 18, 2022.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- Scholarship notifications will be made in mid-December via email.
- Visit the University of Texas official webpage to apply
FAQs On The Scholarship Award
What is the eligibility criteria for the First Abroad Planning Scholarship?
Your first semester at UT will be Fall 2022. You were admitted to UT from high school (not a transfer student). Neither of your parents has received a 4-year college degree. You haven’t studied abroad before with a UT program. You are not a Hutchison Scholar.
Am I eligible if I have dual credit from high school?
You are still eligible for this scholarship. First Abroad scholars will discuss dual credit with their advisor during their advising appointments.
Is there a GPA requirement for this scholarship?
There is no minimum GPA requirement to be eligible for the scholarship. However, you must be in good academic standing to go abroad.
How do I know if I am considered a first-generation college student? I have a sibling in college, am I still a first-generation student?
You are a first-generation student if neither parent has received a 4-year degree, regardless of whether you have siblings in college.
Why aren’t I eligible if I have been abroad before?
Our goal is to increase access to education abroad to all students and maintain equitable practices. The scholarship is open to first-time participants so that we are able to maximize access to education abroad.
Are there any restrictions on what types of programs this scholarship can be used for?
The First Abroad Scholarship can be used toward any UT approved education abroad program including Texas Global sponsored internship. The scholarship cannot be used on abroad programs that are less than 3 weeks.
What other scholarships or resources are available for first-generation students?
UT awards over $1.2 million dollars in scholarship money a year to students. In addition, UT students do well in scholarship competitions like the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship Program.
You may want to explore other tuition free scholarships for international students.
In order not to miss out on prompt updates from careerinfos.com, enter your email address below and hit the subscribe button beneath.
A confirmation link will be sent to your inbox or check your spam mails if its not in your inbox. Make sure you click the link to confirm your subscription in order not to miss any updates from this blog. All comments (related to the post above) should be dropped via the comment section below.